Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Well, I've finally sat my butt down at the library. It's been a long time.

Those of you who read this blog regularly (all three of you; give yourselves a hand) have probably gotten the idea that I don't care much for my job. In fact, that I pretty much hate it. That would be the truth; I hate almost everything about it. In fact, to get this out of the way, let me tell you the two things I like about it: unlimited overtime -- which means that I make some sweet money, especially considering what I actually do for a living -- and convenience to a major bus line. Yep, that's it. Weighing that against my co-workers whose behavior mostly resembles seventh-graders in study hall when the teacher leaves the room, the weird and disturbing racial tension, the lack of ethics on a corporate level, the mind-numbing repetitiveness of the work... it just about equals out. :^) However, as I approach my forties, it's begun to tilt decisively in the direction of hate.

So here's a question for you three who are going to read this at some point. Do you have a job you love? And if so, how did you go about getting it? (Especially if it's a job you love that has unlimited overtime opportunities and is on a major bus line... not that I'm obsessed with that.) Do you have support at home? Tons of ready cash? Or would you put it down to things that I may not be particularly blessed with, such as discipline or desire? Or all of the above?

Any and all answers are welcome, but I would prefer to know what you do, rather than what I don't do, 'cause, see, I'm pretty sure I know that stuff already. Thanks in advance.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lynx said...

Eh, you know my situation all too well right now:). Although I do love my chosen field (it has issues, but what doesn't?) and I like the part time work I'm doing, you know the obstacles.

However, I'm going to put in YET another (slightly manipulative) request you look at our public library system in Dayton--they may need you (haven't checked lately, though--but there are openings occasionally:).

I'm not an inherently lazy person. I learned that while I was in undergrad, and was thoroughly shocked--industriousness is just so bad for my generation's so called "slacker" reputation. However, like most people, I don't like being used or exploited--I also don't care to be abused, which is an unfortunate tendency of many maladaptive workplaces.

One thing I really admire about you (and have been trying to emulate, btw) is your ability to build a savings--maybe it's time for you to consider finally using it so you can "find your bliss"? You already know the disadvantages--lack of health care, insecurity, etc. You could, however, do something like a part time temp job whilst searching for something you truly loved.

I know you've heard of all the books. Has What Color is your Parachute managed to brainwash all job seekers into thinking they're the only title? However, you are a brilliant woman who is wasting time at this job, and you and I both know it. You are also one of the most capable people I've ever known (yes, you're an incredible worker, too--want a personal reference for your resume?).

Alas, blogging doesn't pay much of anything. However, your writing skills are top notch. Maybe you and I should hang out and spend some time working on learning how to be professional freelancers together? I think we both could "make it" if we set our minds to it, and let's face it, it's not like we don't write constantly anyway. Maybe we should get paid for it.

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home